Local Virginia Wild Birds

I wanted to share with you some of my favorite native birds that we have been honored to see. 
Bald Eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus). This was taken today on our way home along the North Fork of the Holston River near Hayters Gap & Poor Valley Virginia. I was driving so my son grabbed my camera and did the best he could. I think he did a great job on the fly. Very, very exciting!!!! Kudos, Sunny!!!




This is a Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbelius) Partridge in Red Phase. She nests in our front yard and we’ve seen her numerous times. She doesn’t seem at all as shy as they usually are. She let me get within abt. 15 ft. of her (to take this shot) and let me linger for abt. 5 min. taking shot after shot, before flying off. It also appears that she has an injury just above her eye. She’s a sweet little thing. Washington Co., Virginia, USA

This hawk chased a pair of squirrels up and down and all over his field trying to catch it!!! The squirrel didn't seem very worried at all about the hawk. It was visible that the hawk was exhausted. The squirrel would simply move to the opposite side of the pole as the hawk pursued it. When we pulled away the squirrels were scampering along the creek to another tree and the hawk was sitting on a post watching them. I'm certain he had given up... for the time being, anyway. I'm pretty certain this is a Broad-winged Hawk.

Hidden in our Oriental Cherry tree is a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. Isn't that the sweetest little thing?!!

 Ruby Throat Hummingbird are the joys of summer at our home.

Hide little birdie...
Yellow Goldfinch at our home in Poor Valley, in the Appalachian mountains. Taken in Springtime in the mountains of Southwest Virginia (USA) along the edge of a large field. For years it seemed as though we didn't see them. Now we see more and more every year. Every time I see one, I can’t help but smile. They usually pair for life and the lovely females often have a olive-green hue.

Canadian Geese at the Well Fields in Saltville, Va.
  
Great Blue Heron at the Well Fields in Saltville, Va.
One of my favorite native birds.


I wanted to mention that I'm still looking to add many more of my favorites here like the Pileated Woodpecker, Red-Tail Hawk, Owls, Harrier, King Fisher, Kestrel and so many more.
For more info. on North American birds visit

Comments

Popular Posts